Call the Electrician! Key Signs of Electrical Problems in a Home

Posted Mar 5th, 2019

Call the Electrician! Key Signs of Electrical Problems in a Home

You'll know it's time to call the electrician when these key signs of an electrical problem start sprouting up in your home!

Being a homeowner comes with a lot of responsibility and protecting your home is a top priority.

One of the things you want to protect your home from is fire. Electrical fires are responsible for 8% of the home fires in Canada.


Do you know what signs to look for to catch electrical issues? Check out these 5 signs of electrical problems in the home.

1. Flickering Lights

One of the common signs of electrical problems in a home is flickering lights. This could be caused by loose electrical connections. When connections aren't tight, it can cause overheating and a possible fire.

Another possible cause of flickering lights is changes in voltage. If appliances use more current than your home is designed for, it can make lights dim and flicker. Flickering lights can be either a serious or a minor issue, but it's one you want to be sure to address.

2. Strange Odors

Are you smelling strange and unusual odors? This could be one of the signs of bad wiring in the house. These smells could come from the breaker box, fuse box, or outlets. If the odors are coming from an outlet, unplug appliances right away. In both instances, you will need to call an electrician.

3. Sparking

Another one of the signs of bad wiring in the house is sparking. Depending on where the sparking is coming from, there could be different causes.

If the sparks are coming from an appliance, it could be an issue with the appliance itself. However, if the sparks are coming from an outlet or the breaker box, you want to contact a professional electrician immediately.

4. Circuit Breaker Continues to Trip

Is your circuit breaker tripping? This isn't just an inconvenience, but a possible sign of electrical problems. If a breaker trips every time you use a particular outlet, there's probably an issue with that outlet.

The circuits could be overloaded or unstable. This is something that will need to be addressed by a residential electrician to prevent any future damage.

5. Feeling Hot Hot Hot

When an outlet is wired incorrectly, it can cause the switch plate to be warm. This is a sign that something is wrong. This could lead to electrical shock or a potential fire. If you notice that switch plates in your home are hot to the touch, you should have it checked out ASAP.

Know the Signs of Electrical Problems in the Home

When you know the signs of electrical problems in the home, you're able to be proactive. When you see these things occur, you can contact an electrician and have the issue corrected to save your home from any damage.

If you need the help of a professional electrician, contact us today. Whether you're looking for routine maintenance, correction of bad electric work, or wiring in new buildings, we can do it all.

Receive your FREE quote and see what Advantage Electric can do for you.

Trust our team to do the job right the first time. We’re also on call 24/7 for any emergencies. You can call us 905-520-2233 or book an appointment here

GET MY FREE QUOTE NOW