5 Warning Signs of Bad Wiring in Houses

Posted Oct 1st, 2019 in Electrical Problems

5 Warning Signs of Bad Wiring in Houses

Every year electrical malfunctions cause 50,000 preventable house fires. Is your home at risk?

It's important to be vigilant for signs of electrical problems in your home. But how can you tell if your home is at risk for an electrical fire?

Loose or damaged wiring is responsible for most domestic electric fires. Check out our top 5 signs of bad wiring in a house and keep your home safe!

1. Electric Outlet Issues

Issues with your outlets can spell future problems for your home's electric system. Loose outlets lead to loose wiring. And loose wires are potential fire hazards that cause shorts and electric shocks.

Outlets should also remain cool to the touch at all times. Some appliances become warm with use, but your outlets should never feel hot.

If you notice that your outlets are warm at any point immediately stop using them. Warm outlets can be a sign of a serious fire hazard. Call a certified electrician to check your wiring as soon as possible.

2. Dated Electric Wiring and Products

Buying dated electrical products is dangerous. And they can cause issues with your outlets or circuits. Only buy electric products with an industry safety seal from Underwriter's Laboratory (UL).

If you own an older house you should make sure all your home's wiring is up-to-date. Older homes may use aluminum wiring which is very dangerous. Homes that still have aluminum wiring are 55 times more likely to suffer fire damage!

3. Odd Odors or Smells

Your electric outlets should be silent. A noisy electrical outlet could be a sign of trouble. If you notice any popping or buzzing from an outlet or fixture turn it off immediately.

And burning or melted plastic smells are potential electrical fire signs. These smells mean your wiring is heating up so much that it is melting the plastic around it.

4. Power Surges

Are your lights flickering? It's not a ghost! You're having a power surge.

Loose wiring is the culprit behind most power surges. If only one light or outlet is flickering it is usually an easy fix. And, more serious shorts cause surges that affect multiple rooms.

Even minor power surges can damage your appliances and fixtures. It is important to promptly call an electrician to fix your surges.

5. Rodent Droppings

Rodents can cause major damage to your home's wiring. If you notice droppings anywhere in your home's crawlspaces it is time to examine your house's wires. And call an exterminator of course!

Small rodents, like rats or squirrels, are notorious for chewing through electric wires. And damaged or frayed wires pose a major fire hazard. They can also cause power surges that take a heavy toll on your home's fixtures and appliances.

Signs of Bad Wiring in House? Hire an Electrician Today

Did you have any signs of bad wiring in a house? Hire a certified electrician immediately.

It can cost up to 12,000 dollars to restore your home after an electrical fire. And fires can threaten irreplaceable mementos and photographs.

Don't risk your home or your life; contact an electrician and have your wiring checked today.

Receive your FREE quote and see what Advantage Electric can do for you.

Trust our team to do the job right the first time. We’re also on call 24/7 for any emergencies. You can call us 844-639-8607 or book an appointment here

GET MY FREE QUOTE NOW